The State Route 99 / Pelandale Avenue Interchange reconstruction project includes reconstruction of the Pelandale Avenue overcrossing, the SR-99 on and off ramps in new alignments, and construction of a southbound auxiliary lane. The project is critical to increase safety, relieve congestion, and enhance traffic operations within the Interchange and along the adjacent streets. The project will regionally benefit the operational capacity of SR-99 and the surrounding road network.
As Modesto’s northern gateway, the Pelandale Avenue Interchange has substantial local, regional, and interregional benefits beyond traffic relief. The Project’s enhanced landscaping and structure aesthetics will increase the visibility and draw to the City’s major shopping centers and industrial parks, thus promoting existing and planned future economic development. The Pelandale Avenue Interchange also directly serves a Kaiser Permanente Hospital. Improving the traffic operations will allow emergency responders including highway patrol, police, fire, and ambulance, to react and serve more efficiently.
The largest transportation project in Modesto history, the Pelandale Avenue Interchange project will provide regional benefits by providing much needed relief to SR-99 and creating a gateway entrance into the City of Modesto.
The project will:
- Improve safety and traffic mobility to address the current and future travel demands on SR-99 and adjacent roads.
- Improve interregional freight traffic flow and reduce congestion related economic losses that can occur when transporting goods.
- Provide a transportation facility consistent with local, regional, and statewide plans, and with local and State Standards.
- Improve regional connections between residential areas, employment centers, and major commercial centers.
- Create a gateway entrance into the City for travelers along SR-99.